Rebecca and Timothy Wyland, parents of Alayna May Wyland had a sentencing hearing yesterday in Oregon City. When their daughter had an “abnormal growth of blood vessels that covered her left eye,” decided to pray for her instead of taking her to the nearest doctor.
They were sentenced today in Clackamas County circuit court to 90 days in jail and three years probation.
Clackamas County Circuit Judge Jeffrey S. Jones also required Timothy and Rebecca Wyland to notify the probation department when spiritual healing methods are used.
“Your prayers should complement not compete with proper medical care,” Judge Jones said.
Jones also required the Wylands to:
- Comply with all medical recommendations of the doctors treating Alayna;
- Notify the probation department of all scheduled medical appointments for Alayna and prove they attended the appointments;
- Inform probation officers of any significant injury suffered by any child in their care.
If you want more background to this story, please see my post on them made a few weeks ago.
Like I’ve said, this tragic story is the result of severe brainwashing heresy being taught as Christian orthodoxy. I do think justice has been done, but I also think that once the sentence has been served, proper counselling should be pursued. And I would heartily recommend a church change for the family.
- Faith-healing couple found guilty in mistreatment trial (bendbulletin.com)
- Ore. faith-healing couple convicted in felony case (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Faith healers prepare for mistreatment trial (bendbulletin.com)
- On the Dangers of Being Part of a Sect… (frstephensmuts.wordpress.com)
- Oregon jury convicts faith healing parents (releasingreligion.blogspot.com)